Monday, October 13, 2008

Why I Love The Army. Reason #214

Soldiers are the world's best complainers. They can bitch about anything.

This Kuwait. This is the middle of the desert. This is where Bedouins and their camels roam freely (I've seen them). It is over 100 degrees here in the middle of the day and the wind blows so hard that the port-a-potties need to be anchored to the ground. To walk anywhere here - and you have to walk everywhere here - requires you to drink a bottle of water before and after your trip. In other words, it's hot.

What do my Soldiers comlain about? What is it that causes them to vetch at breakfast?

It turns out that the air conditioning in our 60 person tent is too COLD!

That kind of complaining takes practice.

I won't be in Kuwait for very long. However, I was here to celebrate the Navy's 233rd birthday by running a 5k fun run in one of the heaviest and wettest fogs that I have ever encountered. The fog was so thick that I couldn't see more than four runners in front me. Out of the 150-200 people who ran I have no idea how I finished other than a respectable time of 20:24. (Neal, I sprinted the last 1/4 mile for you as a wedding present.)

I will be posting pictures as soon as I get to Iraq and get settled.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Call me confused, but how can you have a heavy, wet fog in the desert!?

Sorry I missed talking with you while you were in NY!

- Linda