Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So This Means I Get To Come Home in January, Right?

I first heard the news at 0715 local time. I was walking into the dining facility as Senator McCain was giving a gracious concession speech to his supporters: Barack Obama had won the election.

Put your politics aside for a moment and reflect on how lucky we are to live in a country where we can overthrow the government every four years without anyone dying or military intervention. A country where we can hold elections in the midst of a economic crisis, a war on two fronts, and numerous socio-economic issues. A county where 150 years ago someone like Senator Obama was still considered property, let alone a voter or a person able to run for public office.

Soon, the President-elect's politics and administration will be hailed and/or scrutinized by politicians and pundits alike. I have to say that from "my foxhole" I don't envy the man and I hope that the "change" he promises is a shining path and not an oncoming train.

However, for this brief moment, it is a great day to be an American.

No comments: